Thursday, December 29, 2011

You Light Up My Poisson (that is French for Fish :))

We had the joy the other night of cooking without electricity. And as you can see we have a lot ingenuity, and we dug out our headlamps to assist us. It took us awhile to actually cook the food because we kept trying to look at each other and then shining the light in other person's eyes. This would then cause us to then collapse into a fit of laughing. I was very proud of Rebecca, she gutted and prepared the fish all by herself. I think that is listed in Proverbs 31 as a requirement for the capable wife. I wouldn't be surprised if next week she has bought a field.

Dinner by headlamp
We bought some hot chocolate for the next time the electricity goes off for the whole evening. We are going to light some candles and sit around singing campfire songs. Except, now that I think of it, this is not a good idea because of the extreme HEAT here. I lay in bed wishing that I didn't have to touch the bed in order to sleep in it. It's amazing how much you can sweat in just even one hour. I have one moment every day of feeling cool and clean... after my cool to luke warm shower. I dream of that shower all day long. We have decided that when we get home we are going to miss the smell of our body odor. It's fantastic, and really boosts your self esteem. We have taken to loitering in ATM booths to soak up the air conditioning in them. Don't be surprsed if we are arrested for our activities. The good news is that the heat has caused me to not be so spastic, I am forced to slow down because moving fast is just too hot and difficult. When I come home, I will be a whole new person, just wait and see!
The pace of life here really is so much slower. It's like having this constant sense of calm with no need to rush. I love the afternoon siesta. I think I am going to lobby for that when I get back to the States. I am also not sure if I will be willing to pay more than a dollar for my meals either, when I return.
posted by Katie with appreciated contributions from Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment